Monday, March 1, 2010

Roundup


We made it through January. We made it through February. Now it's finally March! At least it sounds "spring-y." Around these parts, it's now time to take the cattle off of the wheat pasture. Typical ways to gather them are either horseback or with 4-wheelers.
I have a wild, hair-brained dream of someday being able to help round up cattle on horseback. Of course at this age, my brain says "you're too old, you could get hurt!" Believe me, I know from personal experience about wrecks on horseback, and I also know from personal experience how cattle can behave obnoxiously. But there's just something about this thing of rounding up cattle that fascinates me completely. I kind of doubt I'll get the chance, but I like to "dream."
When I was younger and had my horse Trigger, we basically just rode around on the dirt roads, and he was more or less a "recreational" horse. We were in 4-H, we did the "rodeo queen" thing once, we went caroling on horseback around town once with a local saddle club. But as far as "real" work went, well ... that opportunity never really presented itself.
Except once.
Trigger and I were toodling along a dirt road not far from our house. It was at the edge of town, near where my uncle had some cattle in some pens by a pasture. As I neared this particular spot, I saw something I shouldn't have --- two of his cows were out! (Or whatever gender they were --- I just remember they were two BIG, cream-colored bovine species!) They had wandered south across the road into a wheat field. They were out in there quite a ways, enjoying their escape.
First thing I did, I rode down the hill a couple of blocks to my aunt and uncle's house, and let them know the cattle were out. So as they got ready to come get them back in, I rode on back up the hill. Here is where Trigger and I had our only "cowhorse" experience. We carefully circled out into the wheat field a bit, then slowly moved the wandering cattle back along the fence towards where they belonged. Thankfully, the cattle cooperated. Trigger acted like he knew what he was doing, and was plenty alert, but not "spooky" at all. My uncle had arrived, so when we got to the edge of the field he was there to move them on into the pen where they belonged. Mission accomplished!
That was probably around 30 years ago. I still have a great appreciation for cowhorses. I enjoy roundups, sorting, penning, ranch rodeo, reining, roping ... anything like that that shows a cowhorse doing what he (or she) does best. It shows skill, athleticism, teamwork, and just enjoying animals and the outdoors. So though I doubt I'll actually get to round up cattle (and that may be a blessing in disguise), I still appreciate it all, and have a happy memory of the one time Trigger and I got to do such a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment