Don't ask why I get to thinking of the things I do. My mind is definitely like a rabbit trail. I'll think of something, that makes me think of something else, that makes me think of something else ... etc.! I'm sure I'm not the only one. But it's just fascinating the path my thoughts take.
Earlier this morning, I was languishing on the couch, trying to rest as I fight allergies. As my body (and especially my nose) rested, my mind wandered around thinking of various things. An incident came to mind about a conversation Grandma W. had with my cousin once, when my cousin and I were teenagers.
Grandma asked, "K., who's yer feller?"
K. replied, "Feller? What's a feller???"
Back in Grandma's day, "feller" ("fellow") meant "boyfriend." Ah!
Grandma also called a blouse a "waist." I had heard her call it that so much, I didn't even think about it. But I don't think I've ever heard anyone else call it that!
When I was a kid, Dad called the accelerator pedal on a car the "footfeed." You sure don't hear that anymore. Accelerator, gas pedal ... but not "footfeed."
Mom had some fun things she used to say. Sometimes she'd say "milch" for milk, and "brot" for bread. Also, for fun, she'd call milk "sweet essence of the horned critter," and she'd call eggs "cackleberries."
It only takes one generation to gain or lose something. This includes things like traditions, faith, family history, or just "sayings" and "words" like these. I'm glad I can hang onto some of these interesting tidbits, even if just in memory. "Feller? What's a feller???" still rings in my ears!
How about isop and backache?
ReplyDelete