A week ago yesterday, I had a problem with a spider when I was over in the neighboring town. It was in the car. With me. In front of me, on the dash, as I was sitting at Sonic. I tried to whap it with my shoe, but it escaped to the far corner of the windshield.
It left me fearful when it might come crawling back out again. I HATE SPIDERS. But in a car is especially bad. I kind of forgot about it as the week went by.
It was thoughtful enough to make its presence known again today, just as I was at a MAJOR INTERSECTION in the neighboring town. It came out on the dash, and started crawling TOWARDS ME.
Since the light turned green, I had to go. It crawled, I blew on it like mad trying to push it back on the dash. NO .... it shriveled its feet and turned into a little ball and stuck like glue in the crevice in front of the steering wheel. THEN IT CAME CLOSER. I blew like mad again trying to PUSH IT AWAY!!! NO .... this continued as I was going through the intersection, I was trying like mad to keep it from crawling closer and getting on me. I nearly wrecked. Who knows what other motorists thought as I rolled through, blowing on this STUPID SPIDER. This intersection is the most confusing, convoluted, multi-lane intersection in the world. Plus, there's construction going on and one lane is closed.
I thought, "I have to get off the street and stop somewhere!!!" So, I got down the street a bit and turned into a lane that led the back way to a grocery store parking lot, where I could stop. I accidentally turned into the wrong side of the median strip thingy. And of all things a car was right there, but thankfully not by the median, so I had room, but I was definitely on the wrong side. Now I was really mad. Driving crazily, about to wreck, making a fool of myself, scared spitless ..... I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS SPIDER!
I went on down past some businesses, cringing the whole way, because I had no idea where the spider actually was. First it was crawling, then I was about to wreck, then I turned in, now .... where was it?
So I came to a stop in a parking space, and sat with my legs as far away from the dash area as I could get. I couldn't open the door and get out and investigate, because it was pouring rain. I texted Hubby. I just sat there waiting, not sure what to do, but I was cringing even more. Hubby and I texted a bit more. Then after quite awhile ..... here came the buggar out of the crack between the door and the dash. "Slight relief," since he was at least off to the side now! "AHA!" I said. I ca-a-a-a-arefully opened the door, and of course he moved a little, but stayed on the edge of the dash. I had swinging room now. And I was not in traffic anymore. I ca-a-a-a-arefully picked up my fair-sized spiral notebook off the passenger seat (grocery list), ca-a-a-a-arefully brought it out the door a little, ca-a-a-a-arefully took aim, and .....
WHAMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The last I saw of that spider, it fell off the dash, and down into a big rain puddle on the parking lot asphalt. I shut that door as fast as I knew how, and breathed a BIG sigh of relief. NO MORE SPIDER!!! YESSSS!!!! Now I could drive peacefully with no fear of a squiggly little spider varmint trying to crawl on me.
And I'm really thankful I didn't wreck. I could just imagine the police officer writing up a report. "What was the cause of this accident?" "Oh, a little black, furry spider came crawling out on the dash. TOWARDS ME." "What's wrong with that? It probably just wanted to be friends." Sorry, not in my car!
LOL I live with 3 spider phobic guys. I'm only bothered by the really big wolf spiders. Because, you know..some of those are big enough to put a saddle on and ride. That's not right!! I'm glad you got him!!
ReplyDeleteThose big ones are especially scary!!! We have a friend down here who HATES WITH A CAPITAL H any kind of spider. I asked Hubby what would've happened if he'd been in that situation. "He probably would've shot him." I laughed, "No more car left!"
Delete