Tuesday, April 12, 2011

MORE Garden Progress

As April is flying by, we're making (slight) progress on the garden. Little by little! This was yesterday evening's observations:


Younger son checking his peas - they're coming up.




He's excited!




Peas starting to shoot out of the ground. Will have to put some string trellis up.




Meanwhile, the lettuce (right) is taking its sweet time, while the radishes (left) are popping up all along the row.




The poor wheat isn't just yellow at the bottom anymore, it's BROWN. The wheat in this area is just about ruined from drought, I wonder if there'll even be a harvest this year. I jumped in and started watering this two or three weeks ago.




But it is heading out! I'm so excited to see the wheat growth up close and personal. Very interesting.





Then, this evening, I got a few more things accomplished:


Planted the tomatoes I got at Wal-Mart the other day. The closest one is a Red Beefsteak, and the other four are Roma tomatoes. I may have to give up on the Brandywines I tried to start.




This is what we used to do for tomatoes when I was a kid - cut the bottom off of a one-gallon jug, then it's like a little mini-greenhouse while they adjust to outdoors, or it will keep the frost damage away. (We're past that now, I think.) Lids on at night, off in the day.




Annnnd ..... I do think maybe some lettuce might be trying to come up! One big sprout so far, and maybe a few tiny others beginning.




The clouds in the evening sky were pretty.




I also got these yellow flowers (also from Wally World) that I liked so much transplanted to the garden. They cheer the place up! It will be fun as hopefully MORE flowers will make their appearance eventually. Now I need to dig and cultivate some more. I think next will be planting younger Son's pumpkin and squash hills, and I want to get the sunflowers planted on the west edge, and maybe the corn and broom corn. So ... we've got plans.

1 comment:

  1. We still have time before we can even think about planting, I have to clean the garden out from last year. Didn't get to it last year at the end. Yours is looking pretty good! We used milk jugs also.

    ReplyDelete