Tuesday, October 25, 2011

More Rabbit Trails



OK, I've established the fact on this here blog that my brain is easily distracted down different paths of thought! One thing reminds me of another thing, which reminds me of another thing, and on and on.


Just a bit ago, I saw a title on one of the blogs on my blog-visiting list that said something about "fruit flies." For some reason, some pictures popped immediately into my head from stuff I'd heard from Dad about killing flies. So, even though it's October and the flies are pretty much out of the picture, I went in and took the above picture of our fly swatter.


Then I got on here to write about this, and noticed my last post ... "Time Flies." haha I guess I've got flies on the brain all of a sudden! Yes, I'm quirky and strange.


Anyway, Dad told of how when he was a kid, and everybody would be going in and out the doors during nice weather and of course flies would be in the house thick. Something about that before they ate, they'd go through the house with tea-towels, shooing the flies out while someone held the door open.


Then I remembered something else, that during the Dust Bowl days, they'd set the table with the plates turned upside-down, then just before they were ready to eat, they'd turn them over right-side-up. They might've gotten a little "grit" in their food even yet, but at least not as bad.


I like the contraptions I've seen in the catalog, of little screen domes with a handle, that you put over food or whatever while you're on a picnic to keep flies and bugs out. Around here, they'd need little anchors on them to keep them from ending up in the next state!


I knew someone once who could kill flies with a rubber band. Now THAT'S interesting to watch, believe me!


So that's the latest rabbit trail I've been down, hope you enjoyed the stroll!

4 comments:

  1. Yikes. .I'm glad your flies are about gone. .cause ours are still here in abundance!! Not too many things worse than a pesky fly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear that. I was in the kitchen trying to take pictures of something, and ONE FLY kept buzzing around! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish our flies were gone...the last of the are still buzzin' 'round...

    My husband tells me the story of when his folks bought a farm in his early years...they signed the papers and went in to begin cleaning it up so they could move in...the dishes were still on the table (set for the next meal like you talked about) from many years before...just sitting there...I always thought that was the strangest story. How could you pack up and just leave all your stuff behind? But, back in those hard times, I'm sure it happened often~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, gtyyup, that is thought-provoking. Hard to imagine doing such a thing today!

    ReplyDelete