Thursday, December 31, 2009

Decisions, Decisions

I'm not a good decision-maker. You'd be surprised at the simple decisions that will confound me. I just can't pick! If I pick one, maybe I'll think I should've picked the other. Hot cocoa or hot tea? Blue shirt or green shirt? Boots or shoes? Wash dishes or do laundry? Throw away or keep? It never ends.

Today I had to go to the nearby town on some errands. Lately, I've finally (after 5 years!) gotten the confidence to go on interstate. It really is quicker and smoother. So the decision to take that route going over was no problem. ZOOM! I was there. But my last errand was at the edge of town. So ... did I want to worm my way back over to the interstate and get home a few minutes sooner, or take the "scenic country route" at a more leisurly pace? I'll tell you, trying to decide things like that is miserable! They both have their good points.

When in doubt, pray. Even for something as simple as which route to take. God cares about anything and everything in our day. So as I left, it seemed I didn't want to be that hurried, and maybe I NEEDED to go slower, relax, and enjoy the bucolic Oklahoma countryside. And as it worked out, that was just the ticket. Too much hurry and stress takes a toll on a person. (Related to previous post about needing a "low-key day at home.") So the slower, nice drive home was the right choice.

We don't do a lot for entertainment, but we do go on country drives. It never fails --- seeing the countryside is just like medicine to me. It's as if the whole weight of the world leaves, and I just heave a big SIGH and relax. Problems and demands dissolve. Or, it may even give me some uninterrupted time to think. The clock is no longer a menacing thing.

And, I don't think it has to be a country drive. Other things help, too. Standing in the yard, admiring garden and flowers. Or maybe looking out over a pasture full of contented livestock. Or sitting on the porch or in the yard, just being out in the fresh air.

I said before that I don't do resolutions for the new year, but I might like to make an "extra effort" to keep the pace of my life where it needs to be ... SLOWER.

No comments:

Post a Comment